The Geilinger-Stütze® offers elegant, fireproof slenderness for high loads. This slenderness is achieved by replacing low-strength material (cheap concrete) with high-strength material (expensive steel). Although this makes the columns more expensive than reinforced concrete columns, they are a popular choice for applications where slenderness is key.
For example, buildings with high aesthetic standards where slender columns with a sleek steel surface convey the sought-after sense of prestige, strength and grace. But there are also applications where the slenderness virtually pays for itself; where the main priority is to gain usable space, expensive slender columns offer a very rapid return on investment (ROI), see ROI example.
The main areas of application for Geilinger-Stütze® are buildings or areas of buildings with medium to high loads where slenderness or rapid construction progress are required, or aesthetic standards must be met, especially:
- prestigious entrance areas and foyers
- office and administration buildings
- buildings with glass facades
- commercial buildings and hotels
- top-down constructions (bore-hole minimisation)
- warehouses and production facilities
- underground and multi-storey car parks
- schools and training facilities
- airport terminals and railway stations
It is assumed that the buildings are horizontally stabilised with concrete cores, shear walls or wind braces so that the columns mainly have to transfer normal forces.